The Linda Vernon Genealogy Room
at the Madison Public Library
The Linda Vernon Genealogy Room houses an excellent collection of research materials including books, periodicals, microfilm, private collections, and vertical files filled with newsletters, newspaper clippings, family histories and more. If staffing allows, assistance may be available on Tuesdays and Thursdays to get you started on your genealogy search.
E-mail requests may be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Genealogy Research Policy
Requests for genealogical research may be submitted to the library via e-mail, fax, and mail. Requests submitted in this manner by non-county residents who do not have local borrowing privileges will be charged at the rate of $5.00 per request. Any photocopies or printouts made will be charged at the rate of .25 per page.
The following guidelines apply when submitting a request for genealogical research:
- Requests may be submitted via postal mail to: Genealogy Research, Madison Public Library, 140 East Murphy Street, Madison, North Carolina, 27025.
- E-mail requests may be submitted to: email@example.com.
- Requests may be faxed to: 336-548-2010.
- Requests must be made in writing (e-mail, mail, or fax). Phone requests are not accepted.
- You may request up to 3 items at once for research.
- You must provide a specific date (at least the month and year) for items requested.
- Include your name, mailing address, e-mail address, and your phone number in your request.
- Payment is accepted in the form of checks and money orders that can be made payable to: Rockingham County Public Library. Payments should be sent to: Genealogy Research, Madison Public Library, 140 East Murphy Street, Madison, North Carolina 27025.
- Allow us at least two weeks to respond to your request.
We are unable to copy the entire contents of files or conduct extensive searches of microfilm. If you require more in-depth research and are unable to visit the library then we can direct you to a private individual who conducts genealogical research for a fee.
You are welcome to visit the library and conduct your research in-person. There is no charge to conduct your own research within the library (except charges for photocopying and printing). The Madison Public Library houses the Linda Vernon Genealogy Room, which is open during the library’s hours of operation (Tuesday 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Thursday 9 a.m.-8 p.m.,
Saturday 9 a.m.-4 p.m.).