This competition is open to all teen poets. It is an excellent chance to showcase your original work and become visible as a writer in your community.
• Sponsored by Rockingham County Public Library and the Friends of the Libraries.
• There are two levels of competition: Middle School and High School.
• Your entry will be displayed at the library during the month of April regardless of award level.
• You must be between 11-19 years old and be a student in a Rockingham County public or private school or home school.
• Poems can be any style but suitable for a general, all-age audience.
• Poems must be the original work of the entrant.
• You may submit one poem.
• The poem must be typed or hand written in ink on one side of an 8 ½” x 11” piece of paper.
• Teachers or parents may submit student entries, as long as each entry is accompanied by a completed entry form that is signed by the student/poet.
• A teacher or media specialist must co-sign each entry as a guarantee of originality.
• An entry form must accompany your poem.
• Do not sign your poem. It will be disqualified.
Prizes: awarded at the Eden Library & at the Reidsville Library & the Western Libraries
• Middle School: ribbons & $25 gift card for First Place, $15 gift card for Second Place & $10 gift card for Honorable Mention
• High School: ribbons & $25 gift card for First Place, $15 gift card for Second Place & $10 gift card for Honorable Mention
• Awards will be mailed to your home address.
• Entry forms are available at all the public libraries.
• Bring your poem and entry form to any Rockingham County Public Library before 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 21, 2015. Note: Stoneville Library is closed on Saturdays.
• Your poetry will be returned to you at your school by the middle of May.
Need More Information?
• Contact Jacky Miller, Youth Services Librarian, Rockingham County Public Library.
Teen Poetry Contest Entry Form